Tuesday 17 March 2020

About DAF Reimagined

Greetings, I am the RetroCaptain. This blog exists to detail the development of this gigantic project; Diamonds Are Forever Reimagined.

What is it exactly? Well to put it simply, it's an ambitious fan-edit of the classic James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever (1971) which starred Sean Connery as 007. As far as I am aware the film has never been considered one of the best entries of the series, mainly due to its camp tone and strange silliness displayed in the script

Yet I've always thought it had its strengths. Namely the witty dialogue that I'm sure plenty of fans can remember. For example:

BOND: (To a rat in a pipeline) "One of us smells like a tart's hankerchief." (Smells his lapel) "I'm afraid it's me. Sorry about that old boy."

Even so, the film also comes across as a missed opportunity sometimes. Before George Lazenby quit the role, the film was originally scripted as a revenge thriller set after On Her Majesty's Secret Service. This would've finally given us a true finale to the "Blofeld Trilogy" for the film series just like the Ian Fleming novels had with You Only Live Twice.

And that's why I felt this film deserved a second chance via this project. I'll not only edit existing parts of the film to improve flawed aspects (such as removing the infamous Blofeld in drag scene!) but also use animation software to create brand new sequences that will help make this the sequel to OHMSS that we never got.

A character model for Sean Connery's Bond, wearing the black 
and burgundy dinner jacket seen in the original film.

I've been building 3D sets, creating character models and of course have written a script to achieve all of this, since 2018. So stay tuned for updates, which I'll post whenever I've completed something important for the project. Until then, ciao!

1 comment: